Mothers Day Tablesetting with Wedgwood Queens Ware & Necklaces!

It has only taken me 3 years to get around to doing a tablescape with these very rare and special Wedgwood plates and listing them for sale in my shop.    I have been holding onto them because I've wanted to do a Spring or Summer tablescape with them.      

Each plate is truly a work of art and features a different castle, is hand painted in cobalt enamel, and signed 'A Holland', who,  after my research I have found is Arthur Dale Holland, a prolific landscape artist working for Wedgwood at the time.  The artist additionally put the name of each castle on the back of the plates.


  The plates are called Queens Ware, a term you may have heard or read about before.  Queens Ware is Wedgwood's innovatory cream colored earthenware named after the successful completion of his first commission for Queen Charlotte which was secured in the Summer of 1765.   With the delivery of, as Wedgwood wrote, " a complete set of tea things' which included a dozen cups for coffee or tea, six fruit baskets and stands, six melon preserve pots and six hand candlesticks, Josiah Wedgwood was permitted to title his cream colored earthenware 'Queens Ware' and was appointed the title of 'Potter to Her Majesty'.  

The plates have intricate embossed Wellesley borders of various fruits and rope motif's.  The blue painted castle landscapes are framed with a 2mm silver overlay followed by a line of fine, dark green and then with the wide, mint green band.  I am a sucker for the embossed plates. 


In lieu of placemats I anchored the plates with lace trimmed Jacquard napkins allowing the tips to hang over the side of a table as a tablecloth would do.


The tips of the napkins touch each other creating a checkerboard effect on the table top.


And you may have wondered why there is a necklace at each setting.  Well, just look at them...the plates and the necklaces just begged to be at the same place at the same time.  They look like they were made for one another, so I placed a gift for the Mom's at each setting, curved around the base of each plate. Isn't this a fun idea for Mother's Day or any type of ladies tea or luncheon? (by the way, I am closing out all jewelry in my shop and it's 75% off)


For the centerpiece I pulled this absolutely gorgeous and humongous, circa 1880's antique wash basin and pitcher off a table in our sunroom.   I was going to fill it with fresh something or other...well let me say I was going to fill it with free fresh something or other.   I spied some way overgrown, out of control bush, but with the prettiest white flowers, at the park the other day  and was going to run back up there and cut a couple branches of it off.  Unfortunately time didn't allow for that.  So, silk flowers it is. 



 I just can't quit looking at the way the mint green and cobalt blue work so beautifully together.  


I really love the color combination.  Do you?







joining  

Comments

  1. Wow! These are two colors you wouldn't normally think to put together, but they look fantastic for spring! And your table, Nancy, again is so artfully done. Thanks for the new ideas you give to us and the time it takes you to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those plates are stunning! And the necklaces go well with them, what a sweet way to display a favor for your guests. Beautiful table.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the mint and blue combination! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You set the most beautiful table of any blogger !
    I love all your dishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, you have such gorgeous dishes! And the colors are beautiful too.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nancy, this table is truly stunning. I love the idea of using the napkins to create a checker board and the detail of the napkin hanging over as a cloth. The necklaces are a sweet thought and truly add to the wonderful detail of this table. It gives it added texture just as the edge of the napkings do.
    Beautiful in every detail! Happy Mother's Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh I love those dishes! The green and blue is such a gorgeous combination!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE them; beautiful table!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is one lovely tablescape. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMGosh! What a lovely tablescape! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Sunday Showcase from the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2016/05/sunday-showcase-make-pretty-monday-6-3.html Hope to see you again at the party tonight! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I do love the blue and green together...Im switching over my cranberry accents in the kitchen for green with all my blue...so refreshing and the neckalaces are too much fun. Thanks for the great Ideas! Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful mother’s day table setting with Wedgwood queens ware! Truly a fantastic inspiration for celebrating mother’s day. Couldn’t spent time with my mom this year, so thinking to host a surprise party for her at her favorite party venues in Atlanta quite soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from my readers. I appreciate the time you take to post a comment and I read them all.